Community Service for High Schoolers

This is a piece I wrote for a debate at school on community service for high-schoolers. 

James Matthew Barrie once said. Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others can't keep it from themselves.

Good morning! I am Shreya Jain. Today, I will be speaking on the topic- making community service mandatory for students to graduate high school.

Now, most of us as high schoolers will protest at the idea of having to dedicate our already precious open hours in the service of strangers. Allow me to change your mind. Volunteering helps not only our communities but also us, as students and human beings.

Community service offers students excellent networking opportunities. Community service makes students more attractive to potential employers. Community service also boasts of having innumerable health benefits.

Don't believe me? I've got scientific evidence too. In 2013, an American study found that frequent volunteers have a 40% lower risk of having high blood pressure than non-volunteers.

Still not convinced? Community service is also a splendid platform for soft skill-building and is beneficial for your mental well-being too.

I will conclude by quoting Winston Churchhill: "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Comments

Popular Posts